Playstation 3 and Xbox 360

Discuss the world of amBX-enabled gaming with other gamers.

Playstation 3 and Xbox 360

Postby Laph9979 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:47 am

Checking to see when support will be added for Consoles. I searched and found plenty of news articles from 2009 stating amBX and Sony signed agreements but it's now 2011 and nothing. What gives?

I would love to see it on at least the ps3 for Game and Movie support, music being a bonus..
Laph9979

Re: Playstation 3 and Xbox 360

Postby stevenxlead » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:13 pm

There is no native console support at present, although amBX are constantly in discussions with the manufacturers to bring the amBX experience to a wider market. Hopefully the success of the Mad Catz products will bring this closer.
Pressure from amBX fans will also help encourage console manufacturers to commit, so anything we can do to bang the drum will help! The more we talk about it the better.
If you are able to go via the amBIENT XC route, pro lightng control box, then you get PC, all consoles, music and movies right now!
stevenxlead

Postby tapangkar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:34 am

What is the difference between an xbox 360 premium and xbox 360 arcade? I am going to get an xbox 360 arcade included with some furniture from roomstogo and I'm wondering what the difference between that and an xbox 360 premium is. I heard that the only thing was the hard drive. If that is the case then could I just buy a hard drive and it would be the same thing as a premium? And also if I did that, could I use xbox LIVE?
Last edited by Milmoor on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Spam removed
tapangkar

Postby Kryss2k » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:31 am

Although you should ask in an Xbox forum the main difference is the arcade doesn't play original xbox games and yes it also has a smaller hard drive.

I'm also pretty sure the arcade doesn't have an HDMI port... but some places say it does and say the pro/premium doesn't - I know the Pro DOES have an HDMI port as that's the one I own.

If you do a Google image search for "360 arcade back" it clearly shows no HDMI port.

Also it could be dead (RROD).
I live my life in colour and see in sound
Make sure you are heard!
Kryss2k

Postby mdrejhon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:33 pm

You could theoretically get a small computer big enough for a video capture card, or even use a low resolution USB video capture. Hook your Xbox360 or PlayStation 3 to the audio/video input of video capture card. Let ffdshow process the video window (showing xbox/ps3) into amBX effects.

You could keep using your existing HDTV/home theater for the video... the PC is simply mirroring the picture/audio into its video window in a hidden manner, solely for amBX to process in the background... Easiest is if you're already using analog audio/video connection that you can easily split out to be used with the video capture card (for sole purpose of amBX processing). If you're doing HDMI and want to keep using your native HDTV...For devices that refuse to output simultaneous video through HDMI and composite outputs, you may need a HDMI splitter (distribution amp) and a downconverter (HDMI-to-analog converter), to hook to the input of the video capture. Make sure it also converts the audio too, if you want the audio processing included.

You can use a hidden computer next to your TV/xbox/PS3 to process amBX effects for Xbox360/PS3....via the capture card trick.

Composite -- easy (use RCA splitter)
Component -- easy (use three RCA splitters)
S-Video -- easy (need S-Video splitter)
HDMI -- difficult but possible (unless device also simultaneously outputting analog audio/video)

This will convert your PS3/Xbox360 into amBX compatible effects.
Yes, another $200-$300 for a basic PC next to your home theater, but it would allow amBX to work with your PS3 or Xbox360... Even blu-Ray too players, probably.

It's a little Rube-Goldberg, but it would work in an "ambilight" manner, like watching a DVD movie.
mdrejhon

Return to Games