amBX in SkyRim

Discuss the world of amBX-enabled gaming with other gamers.

amBX in SkyRim

Postby ReadNLearn » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:57 am

What should I expect amBX to look like in SkyRim? I just got the MadCatz Cyborg amBX lights, and SkyRim is the first game I've tried it with. The lights are enabled, but then they never seem to go off, including when my computer is in sleep mode. The colors change a bit, but nothing very noticeable, and not really coordinated with specific actions like fighting. It seems the lights will generally get brighter if my screen is dominantly bright, and get darker if the screen is dark. I don't really notice the colors changing much, if at all.

Does it sound like it is working correctly? Is there any way to have the lights go off when the computer is not being actively used? (I never turn it completely off)

Thanks!
ReadNLearn

Re: amBX in SkyRim

Postby LoB » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:53 am

Hi ReadNLearn and welcome to the forums and the world of ambx :)

There are basically two different types of games when it comes to amBX lighting:
  • Games that are specifically adjusted for amBX to ensure great lighting bound to special events. (also referred to as embedded amBX)
  • "Normal" games without specific amBX programming. These games are being detected by the generic amBX drivers that come with your amBX set, and are getting generic effects. These effects are only bound to the colors you see on your screen. So if your screen is mostly green on one side, the corresponding light will turn green. If the screen is dark, the lights will go dark. (This mode is also referred to as "Automatic".)
(You can find a list of games, and which amBX modes they support here: http://ambx.com/wiki/List_of_compatible_games - it's not complete, but it's a good start - and it's a wiki, so you're all invited to extend the list. ;))

It sounds like everythings working allright for you, because the lights obviously react to the brightness of your screen. I can't talk about SkyRim though, because I've never played that game, and your explanation that colors don't change sounds bad. Try to deliberately look at strong colored surfaces in game and see if the colors in the amBX system adapt to that.
But what really sounds a bit strange is the fact that your lights stay active after the game, if I understood that correctly? Do you have amBX illuminate running in the background?

I hope I could clarify things a bit.

ReadNLearn wrote:What should I expect amBX to look like in SkyRim? I just got the MadCatz Cyborg amBX lights, and SkyRim is the first game I've tried it with. The lights are enabled, but then they never seem to go off, including when my computer is in sleep mode. The colors change a bit, but nothing very noticeable, and not really coordinated with specific actions like fighting. It seems the lights will generally get brighter if my screen is dominantly bright, and get darker if the screen is dark. I don't really notice the colors changing much, if at all.

Does it sound like it is working correctly? Is there any way to have the lights go off when the computer is not being actively used? (I never turn it completely off)

Thanks!
LoB

Postby ReadNLearn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:03 pm

LoB, thanks so much for your reply! The clarification between "automatic" mode and "embedded" was particularly enlightening.

I looked much closer last night while playing SkyRim to specifically see how the lights are responding other than brighter/darker. The one case I found where the colours quite obviously change is when viewing inventory. For most items the colours remain the same, but I found when viewing "human flesh" in the inventory (yeah, I know... don't ask) the amBX colours would very clearly change to red. So there is definitely some sort of logic there such that the lights are reacting. I would guess then that SkyRim runs in automatic mode only. It's a bit disappointing that there aren't more dramatic effects overall, but maybe that's just with this game. Like I said, this is my first game I'm attempting with amBX. I'll have to try one with known built-in support in the near future. Hopefully it will be more impressive.

Regarding the lights being on after game, yes, that is indeed the case. The lights are *always* on even when my computer is locked and I've been away from it for hours. I haven't messed with any of the utilities other than to browse basic functionality. Everything should be running identically to when I installed it. I don't really mind the white light when I'm sitting at my computer doing non-gaming, but when I lock the computer and go away I would definitely prefer if the lights turned off.
ReadNLearn

Postby Stereoman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:47 am

I've had pretty poor experience with AMBX and Skyrim, maybe it's down to running an SLI config but when running Skyrim with AMBX enabled the frame rates drop to unplayable levels, I noticed there's no profile for Skyrim so I have it set to rpg mode, hopefully with a proper profile things will improve but if there was any game that's worth developing an ambx profile for Skyrim should be at the top of the list, GOTY and all that, I mean come on, Skyrim with full Ambx would be awesome!
Stereoman

Return to Games