Tetris + amBX

Discuss the world of amBX-enabled gaming with other gamers.

Tetris + amBX

Postby Giant_Panda » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Hey all,

Today I've added amBX support to a Tetrix game I wrote some time ago.
It's not very complicated, but I like the result.

Please feel free to try, and to give comments. Found bugs would also be welcome!

Hope you'll enjoy it,
Sietse L Geertsema
Attachments
Tetris.rar
(224.21 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Giant_Panda
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Tetris + amBX

Postby LoB » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Doesn't start for me. Process ends right after the start.
Win 7 64bit.
LoB
Moderator
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: Tetris + amBX

Postby Giant_Panda » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:34 pm

Hmm, okay. I've no way to test it without Visual Studio, so hard to find out whether it'll even work outside of my computer.
Well, I tried another build, could you try this?
Attachments
Tetris.rar
(154.78 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Giant_Panda
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Tetris + amBX

Postby LoB » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:20 am

That works, nice little program :)
Small bugs/glitches I experienced:

Sometimes turning didn't work (noticed it twice with the straight long blocks).
Dropping blocks doesn't stop when the block reached the bottom, the next block will fall quickly as well. That doesn't feel good and you often can't stop in the correct second.
LoB
Moderator
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: Tetris + amBX

Postby Giant_Panda » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks for testing!

Hmm, the only time turning isn't possible is when there's no space to turn. Maybe it's a bit to strict, but that's really hard to control.
And the dropping blocks work correct here. When or how does it happen?
Giant_Panda
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Tetris + amBX

Postby LoB » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:23 pm

Giant_Panda wrote:Thanks for testing!

Hmm, the only time turning isn't possible is when there's no space to turn. Maybe it's a bit to strict, but that's really hard to control.


I think what was actually surprising me was the fact that the stones directly appear below the "roof", and not above the visible area and the slowly falling into the playing field. Because of this, the straight long blocks can't be turned around in time, when the blocks have been piled up high already. Can you remotely understand what I mean?

Giant_Panda wrote:And the dropping blocks work correct here. When or how does it happen?


I just think when dropping blocks, the drop should completely stop when the block reached the ground. IF I want to drop the next block as well, I should need to release the button and press it again. That way you can't accidently drop a block.

Edit: Oh, one more thing: HOLDING the move buttons (left/right) doesn't result in continuously moving blocks. I think it would be nicer if they moved to the sides as long as I hold the button.
LoB
Moderator
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: Tetris + amBX

Postby LoB » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:40 pm

OK, one more bug, and then over to some more constructive feedback about the amBX integration :D

Image

I have no clue how I did that, but maybe you can find out/fix. The highlighted block was moved out of the playing field and stuck there.

amBx Integration
  • Colors: I like the colors. When getting used to them, I guess they could even help to more quickly see which block is coming, so that's a really cool intelligent integration.
  • Rumble: I like the rumble effect, yet I think I would extend it a bit: I think there should be a (very slight) rumble effect whenever a block hits the ground. A littler stronger effect when it has been dropped down (that could also lessen my drop block problem, because you would receive haptic feedback that a block has reached the ground and could react by releasing the drop key :D). Then you could probably do the strongest rumble when lines are erased (the more lines at the same time, the stronger?)
  • Fans: I have no clue yet. Don't know if they are cool for that game or not. Maybe use them a bit less. Maybe only for special events, like a "Tetris" (4 erased rows at a time).

What do you think?
LoB
Moderator
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: Tetris + amBX

Postby LoB » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:59 pm

Me again. Sorry if I'm annoying you - I just like the game so I have so much feedback.

  • Scoring: At the moment it doesn't make any difference whether I score 4 rows with one block or 4 single rows sequentially. This should be changed - I should get a reward for scoring more lines at the same time.
  • Sound and music are missing. amBX should ADD to the experience, not replace it :)
  • I never use it, but other Tetris players might: Turning the blocks in the other direction is not possible yet - or is it?
  • I still receive the crashes on game start every now and then. :(
  • Fans: After playing a bit more: Yes, I like the fan effects. :)
LoB
Moderator
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: Tetris + amBX

Postby Giant_Panda » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Wow, that's a lot of comments!

LoB wrote:I think what was actually surprising me was the fact that the stones directly appear below the "roof", and not above the visible area and the slowly falling into the playing field. Because of this, the straight long blocks can't be turned around in time, when the blocks have been piled up high already. Can you remotely understand what I mean?


I understand, but I'd say it's part of the game. I've tried several Tetris games, and they all do it this way. ;)

LoB wrote:I just think when dropping blocks, the drop should completely stop when the block reached the ground. IF I want to drop the next block as well, I should need to release the button and press it again. That way you can't accidently drop a block.

Edit: Oh, one more thing: HOLDING the move buttons (left/right) doesn't result in continuously moving blocks. I think it would be nicer if they moved to the sides as long as I hold the button.


Okay, now I get what you mean!
But well, I think it's a matter of taste. Specially for testing this is great :P But I guess I can change it that. The moving side-ways was kinda meant to be like this, but I can look into that as well.

About the moving out of the screen, I've had that a lot, and (hoped I) fixed that. Appearently not :/
It has something to do with turning, I guess. I'll look into that too... :P
Though, just tried it myself, so far I think it's just one position of the red one that is stubborn...

LoB wrote:amBx Integration
Colors: I like the colors. When getting used to them, I guess they could even help to more quickly see which block is coming, so that's a really cool intelligent integration.
Rumble: I like the rumble effect, yet I think I would extend it a bit: I think there should be a (very slight) rumble effect whenever a block hits the ground. A littler stronger effect when it has been dropped down (that could also lessen my drop block problem, because you would receive haptic feedback that a block has reached the ground and could react by releasing the drop key ). Then you could probably do the strongest rumble when lines are erased (the more lines at the same time, the stronger?)
Fans: I have no clue yet. Don't know if they are cool for that game or not. Maybe use them a bit less. Maybe only for special events, like a "Tetris" (4 erased rows at a time).

Scoring: At the moment it doesn't make any difference whether I score 4 rows with one block or 4 single rows sequentially. This should be changed - I should get a reward for scoring more lines at the same time.
Sound and music are missing. amBX should ADD to the experience, not replace it
I never use it, but other Tetris players might: Turning the blocks in the other direction is not possible yet - or is it?
I still receive the crashes on game start every now and then.
Fans: After playing a bit more: Yes, I like the fan effects.


Well, it was merely a test whether I was even able to integrate it :P It's also the first game I ever made in XNA, so it was all a big test... ;)
Colors: Yeah, I thought so too! And what else can you do, eh? :P I tried to flash white when removing a line, but that didn't really work. Well, now that I've a big fan, I could try some more ;)
Rumble: That sounds like a cool idea! I'll see what I can do!
Fans (updated version): Haha, good!
Scoring: Indeed, that doesn't matter. But I think it won't be to hard to implement!
Sound and music: Well, yeah... easier said than done ;) But I'll see what I can do!
Turning the other direction: Not sure why, but will be possible, I guess!
Crashes: Well, yeah, I'm no professional (yet), so that's hard to find out...

Anyway, thanks for the comments! It's actually great that someone tried it!
And I'll look into it when I've some time left!!
Giant_Panda
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Tetris + amBX

Postby LoB » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:19 am

Thanks for the feedback Giant_Panda. Only one more comment:

Giant_Panda wrote:I understand, but I'd say it's part of the game. I've tried several Tetris games, and they all do it this way. ;)


I'm actually pretty sure that in the original GameBoy Tetris you were able to turn the block already in the invisible area. I will have to test this some day :D


Keep up the nice work.
LoB
Moderator
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: Tetris + amBX

Postby Milmoor » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:00 pm

A rumble when a block lands would be nice ;).
Take a look at the Wiki for all those questions you didn't dare ask.
Milmoor
Moderator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:25 am


Return to Games