Has anybody tried to adapt LED strips to to the WW?

Chat with other amBX enthusiasts in the amBX forum and share experiences and ideas.

Has anybody tried to adapt LED strips to to the WW?

Postby efroggy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:24 pm

I am using the starter kit with the W7 Mediacenter and a 42" TV. It works fine so far, but the Wall Washer unit is quite bulky and extends from the wall a quite a lot. Therefore I have to squeece it between wall and top of TV. It doesn't realy look good and I would prefer a slim box behind the TV and a set (5) LED strips put around the outer frame of the TV, shining backwards towards the wall.
I found the fantastic work of Rogmi and the idea was born to completely rebuild the ambx, just using the controller board, and connect five newly designed circuits to drive five RGB-LED Strips.

Has anybody done it already?
Has anybody interest for such a modding?

regards

efroggy
efroggy

Re: Has anybody tried to adapt LED strips to to the WW?

Postby Milmoor » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Haven't done it yet, but was planning to with the IKEA dioder set. Can't seem to find the time though.
Take a look at the Wiki for all those questions you didn't dare ask.
Milmoor

Postby efroggy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Milmoor wrote:Haven't done it yet, but was planning to with the IKEA dioder set. Can't seem to find the time though.

Not much interest so far. :?
Meanwhile I hand wired a sidelight RGB LED-Driver channel, based on Rogmi’s schematics.
It works quite well with 0,5 meter RGB LED Strip with common anode.
Trying to adapt this circuit to the wall washer, showed me some dramatic differences of the driving voltages. They are now in the 0 to 5 Volt range, whereby all inputs set to 0 Volt means white.
I am trying to make a common circuit where only a few jumper settings will put the LED Driver in wall washer- or sidelight mode. :idea:
:?: One thing is not clear to me, it’s the sensor. What is the purpose of this sensor circuit?
I’ll keep you informed.
cheers
efroggy
efroggy

Postby thieskek » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi

I also want to add a led strip to the WW can you guys tell me how? I have a 5m led strip with RGB controller, but i want to connect the ledstrip directly to the ww rgb output how should i do that? Is it save to do or will my ww probably die??
thieskek

Postby efroggy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:12 pm

thieskek wrote:Hi

I also want to add a led strip to the WW can you guys tell me how? I have a 5m led strip with RGB controller, but i want to connect the ledstrip directly to the ww rgb output how should i do that? Is it save to do or will my ww probably die??

There is no RGB output which you could use right away. You always must have a driver circuit for you LED Strip, which could be connected to the side light sockets or internal to one of the three ribbon cable connectors. But both interfaces are completely different and there is nothing out of the box available which meets the requirements.
I am just doing some experiments to interface LED strips to the WW, but I am still in an early stage.
efroggy

Postby Nervensäge » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:14 pm

I will try it in may/june with revoltec backlights as 2 of my 3 wallwashers are now faulty.

http://www.revoltec.net/revoltec.net/index.php?StoryID=9&GroupID=331&WorldID=330&websiteLang=en
Nervensäge

Postby efroggy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:36 am

End of March I receive the first sample of my printed circuit board. After populating it and testing, I will report here.
Just some basic data:
It has exactly the same size as the amBX controller board of the WW.
It has 3 + 2 + 1 RGB channels, 3 x WW, 2 x SL, 1 x static.
RGB Strips with common anode and 12 Volt can be used.
efroggy

Postby dazarooney » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Milmoor wrote:Haven't done it yet, but was planning to with the IKEA dioder set. Can't seem to find the time though.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I hope to do it real soon though.
dazarooney

Postby efroggy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:58 pm

Here is a picture of the first PCB in the size of the controller board.
The original size is 240 x 62 mm.
The individual circuits can be cut off along the solid lines to break the board into two SL drivers, three WW drivers and one dummy driver (static).
The four white cirrcles indicate the mounting holes, if mounted inside the WW Unit.

If I have time, I will poplate the complete board and test it next week.

Platine_produced_s.jpg
Platine_produced_s.jpg (100.97 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
efroggy

Postby Milmoor » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm not online that much at the moment, but very interested in how this turns out.
Take a look at the Wiki for all those questions you didn't dare ask.
Milmoor

Postby ben1680 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:57 am

efroggy,

I'm a long time lurker, and this post makes me come out and post here. I have dreamed for a long time for this amazing simply idea (but hard in execution) to happen.
Basically what I want is the same, to adapt wallwasher or sidelight to accept 12v RGB light stripe to get brighter light effect. I presume this function is the goal of your project, right?
Is it possible to add power transistor (e.q. 3Amp rating) for it to drive longer RGB string to achieve even brighter effect, e.g by adding separate 12v power source?

If it is, sign me in. Hope you can make the board and the component available for us. Many thanks in advance.
ben1680

Postby efroggy » Sun May 15, 2011 9:14 am

It should be possible to add with external circuitry for higher power.
Currently I am abroad and can't continue before end of June
efroggy

Postby ben1680 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Is this additional circuit achievable to be added to standard amBX board, or it is has to be added to your board?
Since your board outputting 12V and standard amBX board outputting around 16v, I presume this additional circuit is easier to be added to your board rather than standard board?

I basically want this amplifier circuit to drive longer RGB LED string to achieve brighter light output. I believe more people will want to achieve the same, considering the popularity of RGB LED string/module and ever bigger LCD/plasma monitor...
ben1680

Re: Has anybody tried to adafpt LED strips to to the WW?

Postby efroggy » Mon May 16, 2011 3:11 am

My board has five channels and each channel can drive about one meter of standard RGB LED strips. This should be enough for a very large flat panel TV
efroggy

Postby efroggy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi,
I am back from travels and finalized the modified amBX.
Whoever want's to modify his amBX, he can freely use my drawings.
The PCB file can be used by any PCB Service company to produce the board.
Get a quotation first from the vendor.
The file for production (made with sprint):
deleted!
Second attempt, because file is corrupted:
led-treiber-v100.zip
(89.46 KiB) Downloaded 320 times

The documentation:
LED-Driver_V1_Documents_part1.zip
(623.82 KiB) Downloaded 349 times

Here is a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLbuOTGUvH4 video showing my modified amBX during building and enjoying. :D

regards
efroggy
Last edited by efroggy on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
efroggy

Next

Return to General